Senior Research Fellow
- DPhil in Engineering Science “Probing the deformation of ductile polycrystals by synchrotron X-ray micro-diffraction”, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, UK
- MEng in Engineering Science, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, UK
- Synchrotron X-ray micro-diffraction, imaging and coherent diffraction
- Grain-scale micro-mechanics and failure
- Phonon lifetime in nano-structured materials
- Dislocation dynamics calculations
- Irradiation damage
- Stipendiary Lecturer in Engineering at Trinity College, University of Oxford, UK
- 2011 PhD+ Scholar, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, UK
- 2012 Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Chemistry, MIT, USA
Current research projects
- High Energy Transmission Laue (HETL) diffraction – a new tool for the grain-level study of real engineering components
- Irradiation-damage-induced modifications of grain-scale material behaviour
- Atomic scale imaging of individual crystallographic defects using coherent X-ray diffraction microscopy
- Phonon lifetime in nanostructured materials
- Lifetime of sub-THz coherent acoustic phonons in a GaAs-AlAs superlattice; AA Maznev, F Hofmann, A Jandl, K Esfarjani, M Bulsara, G Fitzgerald, G Chen, KA Nelson, Applied Physics Letters [2013 accepted]
- High Energy Transmission Laue (HETL) micro-beam diffraction; F Hofmann, AM Korsunsky in “Strain and dislocation gradients from diffraction” edited by RI Barabash and GE Ice., Imperial College Press and World Scientific Publishing [2013 in press]
- Diffraction post-processing of 3D dislocation dynamics simulations for direct comparison with micro-beam Laue experiments; F Hofmann, S Keegan, AM Korsunsky, Materials Letters 89 (2012) [doi link]
- High Energy Transmission Laue (HETL) micro-beam X-ray diffraction: a probe for intra-granular lattice orientation and elastic strain in thicker samples; F Hofmann, X Song, B Abbey, T-S Jun, AM Korsunsky, Journal of Synchrotron Radiation 19, 3 (2012) [doi link]
- Imaging of grain-level orientation and strain in thicker metallic polycrystals by High Energy Transmission micro-beam Laue (HETL) diffraction techniques; F Hofmann, B Abbey, L Connor, N Baimpas, X Song, S Keegan AM Korsunsky, International Journal of Materials Research 103, 2 (2012) [doi link]
- Analysis of strain error sources in micro-beam Laue diffraction; F Hofmann, S Eve, J Belnoue, J-S Micha, AM Korsunsky, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A 660, 1 (2011), pp. 130–137 [doi link]
- Mapping the dislocation sub-structure of deformed polycrystalline Ni by scanning micro-beam diffraction topography; B Abbey, F Hofmann, J Belnoue, A Rack, R Tucoulou, G Hughes, S Eve, AM Korsunsky, Scripta Materialia 64, 9 (2011), pp. 884-887 [doi link]
- Strain tomography of polycrystalline zirconia dental prostheses by synchrotron X-ray diffraction; AM Korsunsky, N Baimpas, X Song, J Belnoue, F Hofmann, B Abbey, M Xie, J Andrieux, T Buslaps, TK Neo; Acta Materialia 59, 6 (2011), pp. 2501-2513 [doi link]
- High Energy Transmission micro-beam Laue synchrotron X-ray diffraction; F Hofmann, X Song, TS Jun, B Abbey, M Peel, J Daniels, V Honkimäki, AM Korsunsky, Materials Letters 64, 11 (2010), pp. 1302-1305 [doi link]
- Synchrotron-based reciprocal space mapping and dislocation substructure analysis; F Hofmann, X Song, S Eve, S P Collins, A M Korsunsky; Materials Letters 63, 12 (2009), pp. 1077–1081 [doi link]
Awards / Accomplishments
- 2011 Stirling Boyd Prize, presidential commendation, Trinity College Oxford.
- 2009 – 2011 Graduate scholar, Trinity College Oxford.
- 2007 Institute of Mechanical Engineerings Frederic Barnes Waldron Prize, Department of Engineering Science, Oxford.
- 2007 Prize for best materials engineering project, Department of Engineering Science, Oxford.