Professor of Engineering Science
(Director, University Technology Centre for Solid Mechanics)
Department of Engineering Science,
University of Oxford,
+44 1865 2 firstname.lastname@example.org
- BA / MA Engineering Science, St John’s College Oxford (1976)
- Ph.D. in Subsurface effects in Wear, CNAA, Trent Polytechnic (1980)
- DSc Oxford (2002)
- Contact mechanics
- Fretting Fatigue
- Fracture mechanics and notches
- Asymptotic methods
- Director Rolls-Royce UTC Oxford in Solid Mechanics
- Fellow and Tutor, currently Sub-Rector, Lincoln College
- Lecturer, St Hilda’s College
- Editor in Chief International Journal of Solids and Structures
- Research Assistant and then lecturer, Trent Polytechnic (1977-1984)
Current research projects
- Shakedown of Complete contacts (Rolls-Royce)
- Receding contacts
- Barber, J. R., Davies, M and Hills, D. A. Frictional Contact with Periodic Loading. Int. Jnl. Solids Struct., 48,(2011), 2041–2047
- S. Reina, R. J. H. Paynter, Hills, D. A. and Dini, D. Determining the coefficient of friction between Solids without Sliding. Wear, 269(5-6), (2010), p. 339-343.
- Paynter, R. J. H., Hills, D. A. and Barber, J .R. The stress field at the surface of a flush shrink-fit shaft. Proc. I Mech E Part C, J. Mech Sci., 223(10), 2009, 2241-2247.
- Hui Qiu, Churchman, C. M. and Hills, D. A. The screw dislocation in a three-quarter plane. Euro Jnl. Mechanics, Part A –Solids, 27, (2008), 730-736.
- Churchman, C. M. and Hills, D.A. General results for complete contacts subject to oscillatory shear. J. Mech. Phys. Solids, (2006), 54, 1186-1205.
- Kartal, M.E. Barber, J.R., Hills, D. A. and Nowell, D. Partial Slip problem for two semi-infinite strips in contact. Int. Jnl. Engineering Science, 49, (2011), 203-211.
- Hui Qiu, Dini, D. and Hills, D. A. Torsion of an elastic flat-ended contact. J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 56(12), (2008), 3352-3362.
Awards / Accomplishments
- ASME Tribology Division K.L. Johnson Award for the Best Paper in Contact Mechanics 2010
- I Mech E 2010 Thomas Bernard Hall Prize
- I Mech E 2008 Thomas Bernard Hall Prize
- I.Mech. E. 2001 George Stephenson Prize
- Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers