Analogue CMOS Design
One of my principal research interests lies in analogue and mixed signal CMOS Circuit design. Specially,
I have been designing wide dynamic range image sensors in standard CMOS technologies. Recently, we have also started working on Analogue to Digital converters as well as
three-dimensional stacking of analogue chips.
I started by
exploring logarithmic imagers using the the subthreshold region of operation of MOS transistors. These
imagers compress the input signal, very much like the human eye.
Experience with such pixels encouraged us to explore new designs with low temporal noise. The research
has led to development of a new pixel design, which can be used to generate any transfer
characteristics between the input light and output voltage. This has enabled us to develop image process
pixels with one particular application being tone mapping thereby capturing images which can be directly displayed on screen with low dynamic range.
One direction of future research is to produce better cameras for special purpose applications, particularly for high intensity radiotherapy.
In addition, we are
currently also working on integrating More-than-Moore structures like
plasmonic filters and terahertz resonators
onto image sensors. We are also making intelligent image sensors for
planning transportation in dense urban environment as well as reducing the data output of modern generation image sensors
"Ramp Noise Projection in CMOS Image Sensor Single-Slope ADCs"
Accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, 2017, with D. Levski and M. Waeny
- "Advances on CMOS Image Sensors", Sensors Review, Vol. 36, Issue: 3, 2016, with L. Gouvia
- "On Threshold Comparing Biomorphic Image Sensors", in Proceedia Computer Science. Vol. 41, pp 140-145, 2014, with W. Mughal and L. Gouvia
- "A low dark current wide dynamic range CMOS pixel", in IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Montreal, Canada, May, 2016, with A. Brunetti
- "Recent progress in plasmonic colour filters for image sensor and multispectral applications", in SPIE Photonics Europe, April 2016, Brussels, with N. Pinton, S. Collins and D. Cumming,
- "A wide dynamic range low dark current CMOS pixel", SPIE Photonics Europe, April 2016, Brussels, with A. Bruunetti
- "On noise in time-delay integration CMOS image sensors", SPIE Photonics Europe, April 2016, Brussels, D. Levski and M. Waeny
- "A Stereoscopic Rig for Speed Enforcement", industry session in IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference 2016 with A. Makarov, V. Lukic, S. Lukic
- "Vehicle Speed Estimation From Tracking License Plates", in IEEE 23rd Telecommunications Forum, TELFOR, Belgrade, Serbia, November, 2015, with G. Tao, A. Makarov and V. Lukic
- "Fixed pattern noise correction for wide dynamic CMOS image sensor with Reinhard ton mapping operator" in IEEE Nordic Circuits and Systems Conference, Oslo, 2015, with W. Mughal
- "Real-Time Vehicle Speed Estimation Based on License Plate Tracking in Monocular Video Sequences", Sensor and Transducers, Vol. 197,(2), pp 78-86, 2016, with A. Makarov, V. Lukic
"Optically Powered Energy Source in a Standard CMOS Process for Integration in Smart Dust Applications,"
IEEE Journal of the Electron Devices Society, 2014, with Liu, J.; Faulkner, G.; Liu, J.; Chen, R.; O'Brien, D.; Collins, S.,
"A reconfigurable CMOS pixel for applying tone mapping on high dynamic range images"
IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference (I2MTC), May 12-15, 2014, Montevideo, Uruguay, 2014, with W. Mughal and L. Gouveia
On Evolution of CMOS Image Sensors,
International Conference on Sensing technology, Liverpool, 2014, with L. Gouveia
On Threshold Comparing Biomorphic Image Sensors, Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures 2014, Cambridge, USA, 2014, with W. Mughal
"Circuits for high performance complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) image sensors"
in High Performance Silicon Imaging - Fundamentals and Applications of CMOS and CCD Sensors, Woodhead Publishers
ISBN: 978-0-85709-598-5, 2014, with W. Mughal and L. Gouveia
- "Fixed Pattern Noise" in the Encyclopaedia of Optical Engineering, Taylor and Francis, 2011
"A wide dynamic range CMOS Pixel with Stevens power law response",
SPIE Optics and Photonics, San Diego, 2010
"An Integrating Wide Dynamic Range Image Sensor with a Logarithmic Response",
IEEE Transaction on Electron Devices, , Volume 56, No 11, November 2009, Pages 2423-2428, with H.Y. Cheng and S. Collins
dynamic range CMOS pixels with reduced dark current", Analog
Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, August 2008, with S.
- "CMOS Sensors for Wide Dynamic Range Imaging" Book chapter in Advanced of Electrical Engineering Research, 2011, Nova Science Publishers
wide dynamic range CMOS
image sensor with an adjustable logarithmic response", SPIE and IST
Electronic Imaging, San Jose, USA January 2008, with H.Y. Cheng and S.
- "Wide dynamic range CMOS cameras" Book chapter in Circuits at the Nanoscale: Communications, Imaging, and Sensing, CRC Press, 2008 with S. Collins, HY Cheng and S. Otim
"Fixed pattern noise correction for wide dynamic range
linear-logarithmic pixels", 50th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and
Systems, Montreal, MWSCAS 2007, with S. Collins
"A High Dynamic Range Integrating Pixel with an Adaptive Logarithmic
Response", IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Volume 19, Issue 15,
Aug.1, 2007 Pages 1169 - 1171, with H.Y. Cheng and S. Collins
"Models for pixels with wide dynamic range combined linear and logarithmic
response", IEEE Sensors Journal, Volume 7, Issue 7, July 2007
Pages 1066 - 1072, with S. Collins
"Characterization and Simple Fixed Pattern Noise Correction in Wide
Dynamic Range Logarithmic Imagers"
in IEEE Transaction on Instrumentation and Measurement, Volume 56,
Issue 5, Oct. 2007, Pages 1910 - 1916, with S. Otim, D.
Joseph and S. Collins
"A Logarithmic CMOS Image Sensor with adjustable photo-response",
The Mediterraneam Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol 3 (2),
40-46 (2007), with H.Y. Cheng and B. Choubey
"A Novel Wide Dynamic Range CMOS Image Sensor with Adjustable Logarithmic
Photo-Response" Biennial Analog Signal Processing Conference,
2006. with H.Y. Cheng and S. Collins
"FPN Correction in CMOS Pixels with WDR Combined Linear and
Logarithmic Response", Biennial Analog Signal Processing Conference,
November 2006. with S. Collins,
"An Electronic Calibration Scheme for Logarithmic CMOS Pixels"
IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 6, No.4, Aug 2006. with S. Ayoma, S. Otim, D. Joseph and S. Collins
"Dark Current Reductions Techniques
for Wide Dynamic Range Logarithmic CMOS Pixels", 30th International
Congress of Imaging
Science, May 2006, with D. Joseph, S. Aoyama and S. Collins
"Fixed Pattern Noise in Pixels with Combined
Linear and Logarithmic Response",
30th International Congress of Imaging Science, May 2006, with S. Collins
"Low dark current logarithmic Pixel",2005 International
Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (MWCAS05), Cincinnati, USA, August, 2005, with S. Collins
"Simplified Fixed pattern Noise Correction for
Logarithmic Sensors", 2005 IEEE Workshop on Charge Coupled Devices and Advanced Image Sensors, Kruizawa, Japan,
June 2005, with S.O.Otim, D.Joseph and S.collins,
"An Electronic Calibration Scheme for Logarithmic CMOS Pixels",
IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Vancouver, Canada, June 2004, with S. Aoyama, S.
Otim, D. Joseph and S. Collins,
"Modeling of High Dynamic Range Logarithmic
CMOS Image Sensors"
IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, May 2004. with S.Otim, D. Joseph and
"A 200X100 Array of
Elecetronically Calibratable Logarithmic CMOS Pixels",
Biennial Analog Signal Processing Conference, November
2004. with S. Aoyama, S. Otim, D. Joseph and S. Collins,