Oxford Engineering Alumni
The Society was formed in 1988, with the aim of fostering the welfare and interests of Oxford University and its alumni, especially in relation to Engineering. All students who have graduated from Oxford with degrees in Engineering are members of the Society, as are present and former members of the teaching and research staff of the Department of Engineering Science. Present Oxford students of Engineering are associate members.
The Society helps members stay in touch with each other and with the Department of Engineering Science, by such means as a newsletter and an annual lecture: the Jenkin Lecture, where the speaker is usually a member of the Society. Today, members are involved in a growing range of collaborative activities with the Department, and they can keep in touch with each other via a LinkedIn group, as may be seen from other pages of this website. Within the Department of Engineering Science, Eva Williams is Alumni Officer and she is always keen to hear news of members, and to receive suggestions and offers of help with developing the Department’s engagement with members.
The Society has its own formal constitution, setting out its aims and objectives, and how it will be run. Among the provisions is for an Annual General Meeting of members. It is usually held in September, to coincide with the Jenkin Lecture and associated events for engineers, which form part of the programme of the University Alumni Weekend.
The interests of members are looked after by the Society’s committee, which meets several times each year. These are the present members of the committee:
- President: Martyn Hurst (alumnus)
- Vice-President: Lionel Tarassenko (alumnus and current Head of Department)
- Secretary: Paul Buckley (alumnus and former member of staff)
- Treasurer: Clark Brundin (former member of staff)
- Membership Secretary: Simon Turner (alumnus)
- Gordon Lord (former member of staff)
- Roderick Smith (alumnus)
- Stephen Payne (alumnus and current member of staff)
- Lynsey Thomas (alumna)
- Sarah Jones (alumna)
- Adam Cary (alumnus)
- Douglas Craig (alumnus)
- Steve Sheard (current Associate Head of Department (Teaching))
- Also attends meetings: Eva Williams (Department Alumni Officer)